Symbol Lookup Error
/usr/bin/ruby: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/RedCloth-3.20/lib/redcloth_scan.so: undefined symbol: red_block
(Program exited with code 0177)
I seem to get this when I try and use RedCloth from a fresh install on my laptop, irrespective of what I do.
The 3.20 is only because I've downloaded a tar ball from git hub instead of doing a git clone
Comments and changes to this ticket
Also, you might want to poke why (I think he's responsible for this) because doing a "gem install RedCloth --source http://code.whytheluckystiff.net" seems to give me the following...
jase@jase-laptop:~/projects/typeface$ sudo gem install RedCloth --source http://code.whytheluckystiff.net
[sudo] password for jase:
ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
string contains null byte
Same as my PC, Ubuntu x64. I also got it on 32bit x86 Ubuntu. I can't remember exactly what triggered it, but I think it happens when you download a tarball snapshot from github as opposed to doing a git clone.
I can probably give you access to the computer again if you want. I'll maybe catch you on AIM again later (probably tomorrow, I'm just about to catch a plane home in a couple of hours)
- State changed from new to hold
Per our AIM chat, I've tried to replicate it on Ubuntu using the GitHub tarball and it works for me. Since you're down in London for a few days and can't give me access to your box, I'm going to press on. When you get back, try it again from the tarball and let me know if you still have problems. Thanks!
IM conversation with Jason Earl:
bq. OK, this is what I'm doing ... I've removed all previous redcloth gems....
wget -O redcloth.tar.gz http://github.com/jgarber/redclo...
tar -xzf red*
When I do
I now seem to get :
NameError: uninitialized constant RedCloth::Formatters
I've fixed the requiring order of formatters and also fixed the version not being present when you download from a tarball. Perhaps the unititialized constant problem was obscuring the symbol lookup error he reported before, or maybe it's fixed now.
- State changed from open to resolved
(from [5c35ecd86b7efeb2c97d55a0ce74d28fa8374877]) Add C source files to the gem file list
The C source files need to be explicitly named so they are generated before the install task if they don't already exist. [#10 state:resolved]